Why track the sources of new leads to your website?
John Wanamaker, an American advertising and marketing pioneer of the late 19th century, once said that half of his advertising expenditure was a fruitless waste, but he had no clue as to which half of the spending really got wasted. In fact, no marketing expert can tell you exactly which of your advertising channels are the most effective for your business. You will have to discover it yourself by tracking the leads generated by your various advertising channels.
Tracking the Leads to Improve Business
The latest digital technologies make available to the present-day marketers the analytics tools that can effectively track the sources of their leads. Such analyses assist the marketers to rethink how and where their advertising budget should be directed for maximum gain. Tracking the leads accurately helps the marketers to take important business decisions based on actual data and not on mere assumptions.
Possible Sources of Leads to Your Website
In the present-day era of digital marketing the leads to your website can come from various unknown and unexpected sources.
It is possible a customer might have seen your advertisement on one of the social networking sites such as Google or Facebook. Or the lead might have originated from one who happened to read your informative article or blog recently posted on the website.
If there is a way to know exactly where all those leads came from, you can better utilize your advertising time, efforts, and money by directing them to those very marketing channels and platforms that have proven to be effective.
Following are some of the possible online sources of quality leads for the digital marketers:
- Blogging: Constant blogging with quality and informative posts helps in retaining and nurturing the existing visitors to your website and in attracting new ones. Some of those new leads may never have heard about your company before. Keep track of those leads in order to measure the impact of your blogging efforts.
- Premium Content: Resources like ebooks, podcasts, and various research articles provide information of great value to your website visitors. The satisfied visitors would readily provide you their basic contact information in exchange for the premium content that your website provides. This helps you in tracking those leads and in measuring the impact of your quality content on your visitors.
- Organic Search: Organic search is done by entering a string of data or phrases into a search engine (like Google, Yahoo and Bing) which throws up all the internet pages that have some relevance to the phrases entered. This kind of organic traffic brings highly qualified visitors, who are earnestly looking for specific information, to your website. The search-engine optimization (SEO) of your web content enables you to take advantage of such organic search. Also, make sure that your web content provides valuable information to your visitors and remains relevant to their curious searches.
- Email Marketing: Though email marketing is an out-dated marketing tool, you can still win several loyal and long-lasting customers by making your marketing approach personalized, contextual and efficient.
- Digital Advertising: These include banner ads, social ads, paid searches, retargeting campaigns etc. The effectiveness of these modes of paid channels can be measured by the click-through rates and subsequent follow-up actions generated by such campaigns.
- Your Company’s Website: This is the most important lead generating source in your arsenal. You transmit valuable and customer-centric information through your website. In this process you acquire a large number of loyal followers.
Besides the above, you can make use of several other lead generating sources, such as: social media or direct marketing, affiliate or partnership programs etc. Each of these serves the purpose in different ways. But, they are all useful if you can track the leads generated by them and measure their effectiveness.
Tracking the Leads
Proper tracking of the leads helps you in targeting your advertisement spending to the right channels from where most of your profitable leads come. The analysis of such leads enables you to know which of those leads influence the customers to buy the products from you.
For example, your advertisement through a particular channel brought about 10,000 visitors to your site resulting into only 10 leads; whereas an advertisement on another channel brought 100 visitors resulting into 50 leads. Clearly, the latter channel has been much more cost effective than the former one. So, from the business perspective it is the fruitful leads resulting in buying decisions that matter the most and not merely an impressive number of visitors who never buy anything from you.
Therefore, getting accurate details of the fruitful leads to your website enable you to make effective business decisions pertaining to your advertisement spending.
Fortunately the advances in digital technologies have made the marketers’ task of tracking the leads quite easy. Hubspot’s ‘LeadIn’ and Google’s ‘Google Analytics’ are two simple and free tools available on the internet for effectively tracking the leads to your website.
The Hubspot’s leads tracking tool ‘LeadIn’ was launched as recently as in 2014. You simply have to create an account at Hubspot. Once the account is created, embed the required tracking code by copying and pasting it directly before the HTML ‘Body/tag’ of your website. Some website platforms provide a global area to add the code and the system will install it on all the pages of your website. The webmaster of your website can guide you in this respect.
Soon after the installation of the ‘LeadIn’, it will start collecting all the relevant data concerning the leads received by your website, which you can access by clicking on the ‘Contacts’ button of the software. This information enables you to know which advertising channels bring visitors to your website. Some of these visits often get converted into leads resulting into eventual buying decisions.
On the other hand, ‘Google Analytics’ is an effective tool for tracking the social media traffic to your website. Google Analytics is used to measure and understand how each of your diverse advertisements on social networking channels contributes in finding a paying customer.
Google Analytics provides you the breakdown of the visitors’ data, such as the following:
- Page Views: Includes the multiple views by the same person in a single session.
- Unique Page Views: Wherein only one page view by one person I a session is counted.
- Average Time Spent on the Data: This helps you in knowing the type of content and the length of time the visitor spends on your website.
This type of analytics helps you in gleaning more information about your potential customers’ persona and, thus, giving you greater control over your business.
Frequency of Tracking the Source of Leads:
You can note from the foregoing paragraphs that there are a lot of metrics pertaining to your marketing activities that can be collected on a regular basis. These include the customer details, their visits to the website and ensuing leads. You can see the numerous inbound links to your site and also the revenue that you are generating through your marketing activities.
However, you do not have to look at all these metrics every day, or even once a week. Some of those metrics may not need your attention at all. Instead of wasting your time and effort on checking all of them, concentrate on only those metrics hat are meaningful and essential to your business.
Particularly, check the number of visitors to your website on a daily basis. A continuing decline in the number of visitors alerts you to the decline in the quality of your website, affecting the overall performance of your business.
The number of leads generated by your website also needs constant attention. You can also entice such customers to voluntarily give certain useful information about them. This will make you well informed about your customers and the useful leads.
Furthermore, in addition to the metrics relating to the overall leads and visits generated from your website, it would be more helpful from the marketing point of view if you could get their breakup per different marketing channels that you use.
Obtaining the aforesaid metrics periodically enables you to fine-tune your marketing efforts for better results.
PrimaFelicitas is a well-known name in the market, serving worldwide consumers by delivering projects based on Web 3.0 technologies such as AI, Machine Learning, IoT, and Blockchain. Our expert team will serve you by turning your great ideas into innovative solutions.
Last modified on August 18th, 2023 at 2:34 pm